This refreshing salad is easy to make and the sweet and sour flavors blend so well. Wrapping the salad in a lettuce leaf or salad leaf, gives it an exotic look.The crunch of lettuce, followed by the sweet and sour flavors of honey, melon, dried fruits and raw mango, lemon juice, respectively. Pomegranate seeds and mint leaves taste so refreshing!
The ingredients used, and the quantities mentioned, could easily be tweaked as per your choice. Feel free to add and omit whatever you please.
Ingredients for Sweet and sour salad wraps
- Carrot 1 small
- Cucumber 1 small
- Red onion 1
- Tomato 1
- Zucchini 1/2
- Bell pepper 1/2
- Dried figs 2-3
- Semi dried apricots 2
- Some fresh pomegranate seeds
- Boiled Potato 1 small
- Unsalted roasted peanuts crushed 2tbsp
- Finely chopped raw mango 2-3 tsp
- Firm Honeydew melon (finely chopped, 2tbsp) (optional)
- Few mint leaves
For the dressing:
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon/lime
- Honey 1-2 tsp
- Red chilly flakes/powder 1/2 tsp (or as per your taste)
To wrap salad:
- Fresh crisp leaves of lettuce or salad leaves
- Some toothpicks
- Rinse Iceberg lettuce or Salad leaves (whichever available) and soak the leaves in cold water and refrigerate till use.
- Rinse all the vegetables, fruits, and dried fruits.
Peel carrot, cucumber and onion and finely chop them. Chop rest of the vegetables, apricots and dried figs.
- If you do not have unsalted roasted peanuts, then simply roast the plain peanuts in a pan, using few drops of oil, till they crackle. Cool and rub between your palms to separate the skin of peanuts. Crush these lightly to obtain coarse nuts.
- Peel potato and cut it into small dices. Roast in a pan (add little bit of oil) till lightly brown.
- In a small bowl mix lemon juice, salt, red chilly flakes and honey and stir well.
- In a large bowl mix all the chopped vegetables, fruits and dried fruits. Add potato, pomegranate seeds and crushed peanuts. Mix in the salad dressing and toss the salad gently. Tear some mint leaves, with hands and add to salad. Check the seasoning and adjust as per taste. Let the mixture sit for a while so that the flavors blend in slightly (5-10 minutes). Drain excess liquid/juice. (use it to add in the Dal/curry/kneading chapati dough).
- Just before serving, remove the salad leaves from water and for each serving, place a spoonful of mixed salad and wrap the leaves around so as to make a roll or a’ wrap’. Use more than 1 leaf if the leaf is tender and unable to hold the salad. You can ‘pin down’ the wrap by using a toothpick. Serve immediately.