Samosa or the crispy, crunchy, flaky, stuffed savoury Indian style pastry is arguably one of the most famous Indian dish. While the pastry dough needs some practice to get perfect , there is an easy way out too…ready-made Samosa pattis, that need to be stuffed with the stuffing of your choice, folded and fried to enjoy the crispy sinful snacks.And while the peas and potato stuffing is a hands down winner, you can get innovative or wild (whichever way you prefer) by creating your own combinations of ingredients to please your palate .So if you are in mood of something Indo- Chinese, just grate some veggies like carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, sauté these with ginger garlic and onion, add some soya sauce and tomato ketchup, chilly sauce etc to make some spicy Indo-chinese Samosas.
Need to satiate your sweet cravings? How about stuffing samosas with some chocolate or coconut+jaggery+cardamom powder? Need some non veg options? Just cook some minced mutton with onions, ginger, garlic and Indian spices like turmeric, coriander powder and garam masala powder, some fresh lemon juice ? Want a veg version of it? Substitute minced mutton with Nutrela granules and enjoy the meaty veg samosas. Craving for some Chicken? Then this Chicken Samosa with Taco seasoning must sound good to you (The recipe of Taco seasoning is provided at the end of this post )
Note: This recipe of mine was published in Midday ( 22 June 2014)
Chicken Samosa with Taco seasoning
Makes: 10 samosas
10 Samosa Patti
Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp oil
- 125 gm Minced chicken
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 heaped tsp Taco seasoning
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
To make stuffing
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add chopped onions. Let the onion sweat a little, then add ginger garlic paste. Saute well and add the minced chicken.
- Cook on high flame for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and sprinkle some drops of water.
- Cook further on low flame till the mixture is almost dry.
- Add taco seasoning, and fresh coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Check the seasoning and add salt if needed. (Taco seasoning contains salt).
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool properly.
To make Samosas
- Take out one samosa patti, place around 1 tbsp of chicken stuffing and fold the samosa as per the instructions on packet.
- Repeat the procedure for remaining pattis. Keep them covered with a muslin cloth till further use.
- Heat oil for frying, in a pan and once smoking hot, lower the flame to minimum.
- Add Samosas in batches and fry on medium to low heat till crispy golden brown.
- Serve right away with ketchup or mint coriander chutney.
Makes: 1/4 cup of seasoning
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked chili flakes (dry roast whole dried red chillies and grind)
- 1 tsp dried oregano powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp dried mint powder
Mix the ingredients and store in airtight container