Eggless Chocolate Mousse cake with Chocolate ganache, topped with some whipped cream and garnished with glazed cherries, may sound cumbersome or complicated but trust me it is one simple recipe if you plan well and follow the recipe and the instructions. Let me simplify the recipe by breaking it into different components.
You will need :
1) Eggless Chocolate cake
2) Chocolate Mousse
3) Chocolate Ganache
4) Whipped Cream to garnish
5) Coffee concoction or sugar syrup to moisten the cake while assembling
6) Glazed cherries
Lets tackle each component one by one.
To make Eggless Chocolate Cake (Makes 9″ inch cake)
- 2 1/4 cups Maida
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder (I used Hershey’s )
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (I used Amul’s 400gm Can)
- 3/4 cup melted butter (I used Amul’s Salted butter) *
- 1/2 cup fresh Orange juice
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup club soda or Coke
Method to make Eggless Chocolate cake:
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree C.
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve together maida , cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, mix condensed milk, juice, melted butter and vanilla essence. Mix well till everything blends nicely. DO NOT ADD CLUB SODA AT THIS STAGE.
- Now mix the wet ingredients, gradually, in the dry ingredients, folding the mixture gently. Scrape off the flour from the sides and mix everything till well blended. Do not whisk or over mix.
- Now add the club soda and give it a quick mix.
- Immediately pour the batter in the baking tin.
- Bake at 180 degree C for around 30-40 minutes or till the surface is well browned and the cake pass the skewer test.( Insert a tooth pick or a skewer in the centre of cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is done, or else bake it further for few minutes or so.)
- Take out the baking tin from oven and let the cake rest for around 10-20 minutes. Take out the cake from tin and cool it on the rack for at least and hour or so, before cutting it.
- When cool enough, cut the cake horizontally with a sharp knife, into 2 or 3 layers (You can make a two layer cake or 3 or more layered cake , depending upon how skilfully you can slice the cake into layers)
To Make Chocolate Mousse:
(I used the Mousse that I had made earlier, but let me share the recipe again, here)
- 1 Cup sweet Whipping cream* ( I used Tropolite )
- 80 gm of dark chocolate (I used Morde dark Compound chocolate)
- 1 tsp of Coffee powder (I used Nescafe’s instant coffee)
- 1/2 tbsp of Agar agar crumbs (I used china grass sheet, ground in spice blender jar)
Method to make Chocolate Mousse:
- leave the chocolate bar at room temperature for half hour to make it easy to chop and melt.
- Chill well the whipping cream, bowl and eggbeater (if whipping cream manually) before whipping the cream. Cream whips better if the cream and equipments are cold.
- *If using unsweetened cream, add around 4-5 tbsp of sugar while whipping. Taste and add more if needed.
- Whip the cream till it its airy, light and have soft peaks. DIVIDE IT IN TWO PORTIONS, one for making Mousse and the other for garnishing.Refrigerate till further use.
- Take around 2-3 tbsp of warm water and add agar agar crumbs. Mix well. Let it bloom nicely. In 5-10 minutes if should form a consistency of a thick sauce. If you can still see lumpy mass, cook this mixture in 1/4 cup of milk or water till agar agar dissolves completely. Let the mixture cool down a bit (Note: Cooling it for too long might initiate the ‘setting in’ process. In that case just add some more hot water and mix to regain consistency of a thick sauce. )
- In 2 tbsp of hot water, add 1 tsp of instant coffee powder (Use more if you want strong coffee flavor). Keep aside.
- While agar agar is cooling, break the chocolate into small pieces. Take a microwave safe glass bowl (Borosil) and wipe it well to get rid of any water. Microwave the empty bowl for few seconds to make sure that no moisture is left in the bowl.Add chocolate and either microwave for 6-10 seconds ( mix with spoon and if needed, microwave it for few more seconds, taking care to take out the bowl after every 4 seconds , mixing well and then proceeding to microwave again), or you can use the double boiler method to melt the chocolate. Exposing chocolate to heat for even few seconds more than needed will ruin the colour and texture, while letting it come in contact with any moisture will ‘seize’ the chocolate and you will end up with gritty, lumpy mass, instead of that shiny, smooth, satiny, sinful ‘liquid’ chocolate .
- Add coffee concoction and agar agar in the chocolate and fold well.
- Take the portion of cream set aside for making mousse and add the chocolate+ coffee+agar agar mix and fold very gently, till the mixture looks evenly brown. Do not whip or mix harshly , be really gentle.
Assemble the cake :
- Take the base layer of the cake, and moisten it with 2-3 tsp of either some sugar syrup or coffee concoction (Add 2 tsp of Instant coffee powder to 1/2 cup of warm water and add 2 tsp of sugar).
- Spread some mousse to make a thick layer of it. Gently place another layer of cake and pour some more sugar syrup or coffee concoction .
- Repeat if you have yet another layer of cake.
Now that your cake is almost ready its time to make a Chocolate Ganache
To make Chocolate Ganache
NOTE; Make Ganache only when your cake is cool and cut into layers and smeared with Mousse.
- 150 ml of heavy cream or whipping cream
- 150 gm of dark chocolate
- Pour the cream into a pan and heat it on low flame till just warm.
- Finely chop the dark chocolate and add it to the warm cream
- Fold it gently into the cream till the mix is smooth and glossy. You can add around 1 tsp of melted butter to add that extra gloss.
- Pour this ganache over the top most layer of the cake to make an even layer.
- Let the cake chill for around 1/2 hour and then garnish it with some whipped cream (The other portion that you have set aside) using Piping bag and garnish it with glazed cherries. Chill the cake further to let the mousse set properly.