The Pakora kadhi recipe is shared by Pooja Sunil Butani. Pooja says : ” Curd (Dahi) Pakora kadhi, is our Sunday special, when the whole family gathers together over a meal. It is also often cooked when we have friends or relatives visiting us. The delicious kadhi is our favorite. Do give it a try!”
- 250 gm curd
- 4tbsp Gram flour ( besan)
- 2tbsp of oil ( or ghee)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder.
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 3 Onions Salt to taste
For fritters (Pakora)
- 1/2 cup besan
- A huge pinch of baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Carom seeds
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 5 green chillies chopped
For Tempering (tadka)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi dhana (fenugreeek seeds)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 tsp red chilli powder (or as per taste)
- 2 tsp ghee
- In a bowl mix curd, besan, red chilli powder and mix it well. Add turmeric powder and salt as per taste. Mix well so that there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Heat oil for frying in a frying pan or kadai. In the meanwhile, make batter for the fritters by mixing in a large bowl, chopped onion, besan, ginger, chillies, baking soda, carom seeds, kasuri methi, salt and mix well. Add water, a little at a time to make a batter of thick pouring consistency. Make sure that there are no lumps.
- Now drop spoonfuls of this batter in the hot oil and fry fritters in batches till golden brown and crisp. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Drain the fritters on tissue papers.
- To make kadhi, take another pan, heat around 1-2 tbsp of oil, add chopped onions and saute till light pink in colour.
- Add the curd mixture and cook for a while, then simmer the mixture till the rawness of spices is gone (approx. 10-15 min).
- Add the fried fritters and let the kadhi boil for a minute or so.
- Make the tempering by heating around 2 tsp of ghee and adding the ingredients listed under ‘for tempering‘.
- Add the sizzling tempered spices in the pakora kadhi and garnish with some coriander leaves.
- Serve it immediately with rice/ roti or phulka.