For all those who wanted to know how Khorak (A winter special Sweet from Sindhi Cuisine) is made, here is the recipe and the video of the same!
Please welcome Dr Rajesh Khatwani, an enthusiastic cook and baker, who is well known for his amazing cakes and bakes. Before heading towards his recipe of Khorak, let us hear what Dr. Khatwani has to say about his passion and about his award winning recipes!
“I am a practicing pediatrician in Ahmadabad. Wild life photography and cooking difficult dishes are two of my favorite hobbies. It started with cakes and kulfis—I learnt from my mother. I have tamed few of challenging dishes; Rasgullas, Sugar free Rasmalai ( Which won me 1st prize in male medicos cooking contest), Egg less Pineapple pastries (1st prize), Pizzas, Christmas cake and egg less baked caramel custard (on TV9 Gujarati ) and latest one Khorak which was telecast on ETV Gujarati. ( I was first male viewer who was invited for cooking in their kitchen). My fresh orange cake and fresh Pineapple cake are always in demand by my family”.
Thank you Dr.Khatwani for sharing this much awaited recipe.I am sure Sindhis as well as Non Sindhi people will be happy to have this recipe of perfect winter sweet !
- Wheat flour 125 gms
- Ghee 125 gms
- Dry fruit mix 75 gms
- Khus khus 25 gms
- Edible Gum: 25 gms (Pan roasted/Fried and crushed)
- Dessicated coconut 2 tbs
- Melon seeds 1 tbs Roasted
- Water 125 ml
- Sugar 125 gms
- Cardamom seed 2 nos
1. Heat gum in ghee for few minutes till it swells up and becomes white. Cool it and crush to coarse powder.
2. Cook sugar in 125 ml water till it dissolves and have a consistency of thick sticky syrup.
3. Heat ghee in thick bottom vessel. Add flour and cook till golden brown. Add Khus khus(Poppy seeds), Dry fruit mix, coconut, gum etc. Cook further for few min.
4. Add sugar syrup at high flame and mix properly.
5. Decorate with roasted melon seeds.
6. Cool down to room temp for 2-3 hours and cut diamond shape pieces.
7. Serve with smile.
Shelf life : 1 month
Here is the video of the Recipe!
This post was submitted by Rajesh Khatwani.