Delicious Vegetarian Kebabs, made from Split Red lentils, flavored with Indian spices and deep fried, a fantastic recipe by Nita Mehta!
- 1 Cup Split Red lentils (Dhuli Masoor dal )
- 1″ Ginger
- 8-10 Garlic cloves (I used 6)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder (I used 2 green chillies instead)
- 3 bread slices dipped in water and squeezed well.Crumble these.
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp oil (I used 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp each of red, green and yellow pepper, and onion, chopped finely
- Some freshly squeezed lemon juice and some mint leaves to garnish.
- Oil for frying.
- Rinse well for few times, and soak lentils for 2 hours. Drain and grind along with cumin, ginger, garlic and green chillies using minimum possible water.It should look like a thick paste.
- Heat 2-3 tbs of oil in thick bottomed pan or nonstick one, and add the paste.Stir fry for 4-5 minutes, on low flame, stirring the paste frequently.Cook till the paste is dry and no longer sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Cool this mixture and add crumbled bread, salt and garam masala.Mix well.
- Heat oil for frying. Grease wooden or metal skewer, spread a ball of lentil mixture along the length of skewer such that it is inserted into the roll. Make a finger thick, 2 inch/5 cm long kebab
- Stick the chopped peppers and onions on the surface of kebab by gently pressing these on kebab.Repeat for remaining mixture.(I just rolled the kebabs in a finger shape without using any skewers. You can shape these the way you prefer)
- Gently remove the skewer and deep fry kebab in hot oil on medium flame till golden brown. Drain on kitchen towel.Fry only 2-3 kebabs per batch or else they might turn soggy.
- Serve hot on a bed of onion rings, with a dash of lemon juice and mint leaves. Goes well with mint/ mint coriander chutney or ketchup.
For Manchurian balls:
Makes 12-14 Manchurians
- 1 Carrot (orange) grated
- 1 small Delhi carrot (optional) grated
- 1 cup grated cauliflower
- 1/2 cup grated cabbage
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 bread slices ( dip in water and squeeze well)
- 1 tsp garlic paste (or finely chopped/crushed 5 cloves of garlic)
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or crushed 1″ piece of ginger)
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp of All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp of cornflour
- 2 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp black/white pepper powder
- 2-3 pinches of Ajinomotto (optional..I skipped this)
- Oil for frying
For Manchurian Sauce:
- 1″ piece of garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 6-7 cloves of garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1-2 Green chillies finely chopped
- Salt ( be careful, since soya sauce is salty)
- 1-2 tbsp of Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp of Vinegar, with 2 pinches of sugar dissolved in it
- 1 heaped tbsp of Tomato Ketchup
- Black or white pepper powder 1-2 pinches
- 3-4 tsp of Cornflour mixed with 4 tbsp of water (You might need more if gravy is not thick as required)
- 1-2 tbsp of oil
- 2 tbsp greens of Spring Onion to garnish
For making Vegetable Manchurian Balls:
- Mix the grated vegetables and steam these till soft(I used Microwave steamer,and steamed the vegetables for 3-4 minutes)
- Mix all the ingredients, given under ‘Manchurian balls’ except oil for frying.
- Note:If you are steaming on stove top, you vegetables will have some water retained..in that case just squeeze out any extra moisture and retain the liquid to add in sauce. Microwaving will not only steam vegetables, but also the extra moisture is taken care of.
- Bind all the ingredients in a dough and make pingpong sized balls.Fry one manchurian first to check if it breaks.In that case add some more cornflour or bread crumbs/bread dipped in water and squeezed
- Fry manchurians on medium flame till blackish brown in colour.Drain on kitchen towel.
For Making Manchurian Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a pan, add chopped ginger garlic, saute for a while, add chopped chillies and onion and saute till translucent.
- Take the pan off the gas, and add sauces, and vinegar.Put the pan back on the gas and stir the sauce well. Cook for 2 minutes and add 2-3 cups of water.
- Add salt, pepper and cook further till gravy boils for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cornflour paste gradually, mixing well.
- Let the sauce thicken, adding more cornflour paste if needed.
- For serving, just heat the sauce and add manchurian balls, add chopped greens of spring onion and serve with either Hakka Noodles, Veg. fried rice or schezwan rice
This post was submitted by admin.
Falafel Recipe :
- 1 and half cup dried chickpeas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Handful of Parsley or fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon of Bread crumbs or 2 ground slices of bread
- 2-3 green chillies
- Oil for frying
- Pick, rinse for several times and Soak chickpeas for 8-12 hours.
- Boil in a pressure cooker with some salt for 2 whistles.
- Drain and let the chickpeas cool down .
- Save half cup of boiled chickpeas for hummus and grind the remaining chickpeas with chillies, coriander leaves, chopped onion, cumin seeds and some salt.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well. Add few drops of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Make ping pong size balls of the mixture and deep fry them in batches, till golden brown
- Serve with Hummus and/ or Tahini Sauce.
To make Hummus:
Grind half cup of boiled chickpeas, along with some salt, 2-3 green chillies, some fresh coriander leaves or mint/parsley, 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds, 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1-2 tsp of olive oil and pulse for some time to get a dip like consistency.
In case you want the dip to me more runny or smooth , add few tsps of reserved liquid that was saved after boiling chickpeas.