There are infinite number of recipes for American style Pancakes, and after trying many permutations and combinations, I finally found a perfect ratio of ingredients to make fluffy, delicious pancakes.
(Make 6 pancakes, each of approx. 9 cm in diameter)
- 1 and 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Few drops of vanilla essence/extract (optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 heaped tbsp butter, melted
- Seive flour and baking powder in a big mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Crack an egg and pour out it contents in the flour and baking powder mix.
- Add 2 tsp sugar (or more, if you want it more sweet ), melted butter and few drops of vanilla essence (optional). Add milk.
- Whisk the mixture well to achieve a creamy consistency. Add more milk, if needed, to make the batter of pouring consistency.
- Heat a flat bottomed pan or a flat, nonstick griddle and ladle out the batter to make a pancake of around 9 cm in diameter.
- When the surface of pancake starts bubbling, carefully flip it and cook on medium to low flame till slightly golden in colour.
- Serve hot with honey /maple syrup. I served some with nutella, and some with homemade strawberry compote.