One of the best working recipe to make Pizza base and pizza sauce at home. Do give it a try and let me know if it works for you.
For Pizza Dough:
- Flour (You can use any one of the three combination of flours)
A ) 2 cups Maida (All purpose flour) + 1 cup bread flour
B) Take 3 cups maida, remove 1 tbsp and substitute with 1 tbsp of wheat gluten powder.
C) 3 Cups Maida if you do not have bread flour and wheat gluten
- 1 Sachet of Super active yeast (or 2 tsp of active dry yeast)
- 100 ml water
- 100 ml milk
- 50-60 ml of Olive oil
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
For making Pizza Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup of Crushed Tomatoes ( Recipe given at the end)
- 1/2 white Onion chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2-3 Basil leaves (or dried basil powder)
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning mix (Or just mix some dried herbs like Oregano, Rosemary , Thyme and chilli flakes, black pepper powder, garlic powder etc)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1tbsp Tomato ketchup
- Salt as per taste
(Choose what you like)
- Bell pepper
- Pitted Olives
- Paneer (Cottage cheese)
- Shredded /grated Mozzarella Cheese (As much preferred)
(Slice/ dice the toppings of your choice, sprinkle some salt and olive oil and set aside)
Making the pizza dough
- In a large bowl, take 2 cups of flour (Keep aside remaining 1 cup of flour) and mix salt, sugar and yeast (If using dry active yeast, then proof the yeast as per instructions on the pack. Use that yeast and water mixture to knead the dough. Add some more water if needed ).
- Mix well with a knife. Then add 100 ml of water (or the yeast and water mixture in case of dry active yeast) and around 50 ml of oil and mix with whisker for about 3-4 minutes. The mixture will now look like a batter.
- Then add remaining 1 cup of flour and keep on adding some milk, at intervals, and keep on mixing , using your hands. Knead for a while till the mixture looks like a well kneaded dough (for about 6-10 minutes).
- Grease a large bowl and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with either cling film or damp kitchen cloth.
- Keep the dough in a warm place till it rises to almost double in volume. It might take nearly 1-2 hours depending upon the climate and place. You can also refrigerate this dough ( after it rises) overnight and that makes a better pizzza next day).
To make Crushed Tomatoes.
The crushed tomatoes give a better texture and flavor to the pizza sauce. To make crushed tomatoes, take around 5-6 big ripe tomatoes and make a crisscross cut on the opposite side of stem. Blanch in hot water for about 2-3 minutes. Cool well. Peel off the skin and pulse a few times in the blender till you get coarse pulp. Do not puree it. Use this to make pizza sauce.
To make Pizza Sauce:
Take 1 tbsp of olive oil and heat it. Add grated/ chopped garlic.Cook for few seconds and add chopped onion. Saute till translucent. Add crushed tomato, basil, salt , dried herbs and spices. Mix well and add around 3/4 cup of water and cook on lowest heat till the flavors blend well. The sauce should be of spreading consistency, neither too runny nor too dense.
To make Pizza base:
- Punch hard and deflate the pizza dough and knead again, folding into a roll and punching with your knuckles to spread it in a sheet. Dust the working area with dry flour to make the kneading easy. Fold the sheet into a roll and then spread again to make a sheet . Keep on repeating this till the texture is soft and springy. Finally divide the dough into 3 portions.
- Take one portion (and keep the two remaining portions well covered) and roll with rolling pin or just pat and stretch using your hands till a disc of around 1/2 inch(or less) thickness is achieved. Sprinkle some cornflour or fine semolina and make sure that this side is not used to lay the toppings. Semolina or cornflour will result in crisp bottom of pizza.
- Now gently lift the base and place on the Pizza stone/ inverted baking tray/ pizza tray. (I placed it on a parchment paper and placed it on Pizza screen.The reason for using paper was to avoid the risk of pizza base sticking to the pizza screen. Pizza screen allows the pizza to cook crispy from bottom side.)
- Bake this base for around 5 minutes in preheated oven at 190 degree C.
- Remove pizza base from oven (And if using pizza screen, remove the parchment paper now and place the pizza base directly on screen.) and spread the tomato sauce and layer the toppings of your choice. Spread a generous helping of cheese and bake further till the cheese melts (aprox. 15-20 minutes, depending upon your oven).
- Let it stand on wire rack for for minimum 5 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure for rest of the dough.
- Cut each pizza into wedges and sprinkle some dried oregano and chilli flakes before serving.