Focaccia is an Italian flatbread, and could be baked with fresh or dried herbs or /and with olives. A very simple bread recipe, it calls for few ingredients and need less resting time than regular breads.
- 300 gms All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Lukewarm water
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 10 gms of dried yeast (2 heaped tsp)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Dried herbs like basil, oregano, sage, thyme etc (You can use fresh herbs too)
- Pitted sliced olives, as many preferred
- Mix 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and add 1/2 tsp of Sugar
- Sprinkle on top, 2 heaped tsp of dried yeast and mix vigorously
- Let the mixture foam and froth well, around 10-12 min. If by the end of 15 min you do not see the bubbles or froth, discard and repeat the procedure.This is what we call as ‘Proofing’ of yeast.
- In the mean time, mix 3/4 th cup of lukewarm milk with 1 1/2 tbsp of oil, 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of sugar and mix well.
- Add this milk mixture to the ‘proofed’ yeast and mix gently.
- Now add this mixture into the sieved Maida and knead a dough. Knead for about 5 minutes.Then cover it with damp cloth for 5 minutes and then knead again for 7-8 minutes till the dough becomes soft and spongy.
- Roll it in a ball, and coat it generously with olive oil (or any oil). Cover the dough with a damp towel and keep the bowl in warm place. The dough will rise to double its volume by 1 or 11/2 hour.
- Knock it down well.
- Roll it into a square or round shape till 1-2 inch thick.
- Lay it carefully on a greased baking tray (or use a parchment paper).
- Poke your thumb to create ‘dents’ at intervals, on the surface of bread.
- Place sliced olives, drizzle generously, the olive oil, sprinkle dried or fresh herbs.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree C, for 15-25 minutes, or till the surface is brown.
- Remove from oven. After 5 minutes transfer on the rack and let it cool.
- Serve with soup or salad.