This is a vegetarian version of Famous Shami Kebabs that are generally made using minced meat.Here the minced meat is substituted by Nutrella (Textured vegetable protein )
You can bake these kebabs, shallow fry or deep fry. Enjoy as an appetizer with some mint chutney or stuff in Subway style sandwich with some sliced vegetables and sauce of your choice.
Vegetarian Shami Kebab Recipe
Makes 12-14 Kebabs.
- 1 cup Bengal gram (Chana dal)
- 1 Cup Nutrella (nuggets)
- 1/ cup Rajma (or any beans, though Rajma taste good)
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric powder 1/2 + 1/2 tsp ( Explained in the method)
- 1 heaped tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 Tejpataa (bayleaf)
- 2 Badi elaichi (Black Cardamom)
- 2 Choti Elaichi (Green cardamom)
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp kitchen king masala (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried pomegranate seeds crushed
- 1 heaped tbsp of pounded dried coriander seeds ( or you can use coriander powder)
- Few mint leaves
- Coriander leaves few
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs or 2-3 bread slices dipped in water, squeezed and crumbled
- 2 tbsp Besan
- Freshly squeezed Lemon juice as per taste ( or you can use 1/2 tsp Amchoor powder)
- Oil for frying
- Soak Rajma for atleast 5 hours (or soak overnight). Rinse well and boil with some salt till soft and tender
- Soak Nutrella nuggets (If unavailable, you can grind nutrella chunks or badi soyabean and use, instead) in hot water for 15 minutes.Rinse few times and Squeeze well.
- Soak, rinse and boil in pressure cooker, chana dal along with nutrella and very little water, salt, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder, bayleaf, cardamoms till tender but not mushy (2 whistles of cooker). Cook the mixture on high heat if there is still any water remaining.
- Now in a pan take 1 tbsp of oil and add ginger garlic paste. Cook for a minute, then add chopped onions and saute for few seconds. Add the cooked lentils and nutrella and mash well. Add rest of spices, mint leaves, besan, bread crumbs and mix well.Cook for a minute or so on high heat or cook till the whole mixture is completely dried. The moisture can cause the kebabs to split open while frying.
- Switch off the gas, add lemon juice or amchoor powder and coriander leaves
- Let the mixture cool for a while and then make small patty or roll into a ball, till all the mixture is used up.
- Heat the oil well and fry the kebabs one or two at a time till crispy brown. If the kebabs tend to split, add more bread crumbs or you can shallow fry or even bake these to cut off the calories.
- Enjoy with sauce, dip, ketchup or stuff in the bread to make Subway style sandwich.