Veg Frankies are simple to make but real favorites of kids. Though high on calories, its always better to make these at home than to let kids eat the same from roadside vendors . You can also add some fresh, chopped vegetables to make it bit healthier.
Veg frankies are nothing but spiced and deep fried potato rolls, wrapped in All purpose flour (maida) puris, along with chopped onions and tangy chutney.
Ingredients to make Veg Frankies:
Makes 6 Frankies
Ingredients for Puri:
- All purpose flour 1 and half cup
- Salt as per taste
- Curd 2 tbsp OR milk 3 tbsp (you can use any one of these)
- Oil for frying puris and rolls
For Potato rolls:
- 3 large potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- Bread crumbs or 4 slices of bread dipped in water and squeezed well
- Salt as per taste
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Green chillies 2-3 finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Amchoor powder 1/4 tsp or 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coriander leaves for flavor
- Chopped onions (as much as you prefer)
- Chaat masala
- Tamarind chutney or simply a mixture of 6-7 tbsp of water with some salt, red chilly powder, amchoor powder or chaat masala or pani puri masala
- Optionally you can add finely sliced cabbage, grated carrots, chopped cucumbers etc.
- To make puris, knead a soft dough by mixing sieved maida, salt and curd or milk, using some water
- Let the dough rest for a while, as you move ahead to make potato rolls.
- Mix the boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes with all the ingredients listed under ‘potato rolls’
- Divide this mixture into 6 portions and roll each portion into an oblong or oval shape roll.
- Keep these aside and start working on puris.
- Take some portion of dough and roll each one to make roti/puri.The diameter of puri depend upon the diameter of the pan in which these are to be fried
- Deep fry each puri just for a second on each side.Do not brown it.It must be half cooked only.Drain properly on kitchen towel as these tend to ‘drink’ loads of oil
- Fry all the puris and then deep fry each potato roll till brown and crispy.
- Now heat a griddle and cook the half fried roti till small brown spots appear.
- For serving, place the cooked puri/roti and spread some tamarind chutney or tangy water and place the fried potato roll.
- Throw in some chopped onions (the more the merrier) and some fresh veggies if you wish, sprinkle chaat masala and wrap the roll carefully.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and you can enjoy this with a cup of hot tea or coffee..Happy Monsoon to Indians !!!! Enjoy !!!