Recipe By: NH
- Wheat flour – 500 g
- Sugar – 500 g
- Water – 500 ml
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 250 g
- Cardamom – 6 pieces
- Khus khus (poppy seed) – 100 g
- Gaund (edible gum) – 25 g
- Dry fruits (Almonds, Cashews, Raisins, cardamom seeds, pistachios etc.) – 150 g
- Melon seeds – 1/4 tbsp
1. Wash the khus khus properly and let it dry.
2. Crush the gaund and then shallow fry it in 4 tbsp of ghee for 4-5 minutes till color changes and volume increases to double.
3. Chop dry fruits, finely.
4. Roast Melon seeds.
1. In a big bowl, add khus khus, crushed guand and 3/4th of dry fruits, mix well and keep aside.
2. Boil water in another vessel and in it add, slowly, sugar and cardamom. boil for 10 minutes or for 220 degrees on Candy thermometer.
3. Heat ghee in a big vessel, add wheat flour, stir it continuously till it is golden brown. Add the mixture of dry fruits, khus khus and gaund, mix well. Now take this off heat and add sugar syrup slowly while stirring the mixture. Stir till it is dry and mixture separates the ghee.
4. Grease a tray or plate (with high edges) with oil and spread half of the left chopped dry fruits, melon seeds in the bottom of the tray and put the mixture in the plate and smoothen the surface with a ladle or bottom of a bowl and spread the remaining dry fruits, melon seeds on the top of the mixture.
5. Keep the plate/tray aside till it is cool. When it is firm cut it into pieces and keep in airtight container.