- Spinach 1 Bunch (Approximately 300 gms)
- Khatta (chuuka, khatti paalak) few leaves. If you wish not to add any tomatoes than kindly add more leaves for sourness.Inversely if you are unable to fetch Khatta leaves add double the tomatoes i.e 4 tomatoes
- Dill leaves or Sua… few (depending on your taste)
- Fresh Fenugreek leaves (A handful).If unavailable, use 1 tsp of kasuri methi instead
- Tomatoes 2 Medium sized (If less of khatta paalak is used or else skip tomatoes to get that perfect green colour)
- Brinjal (Egg Plant) 1 Small
- 1 okra(bhindi), 1 small potato(either or both)
- Arbi(kachaloo) 1/2(optional)
- Onions 2
- Channa Dal (Bengal Gram Dal) 1 small cup(soak for at least 1/2 hr after rinsing few times with water)
- Green Chillies 2-3
- Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1-2 tbsp
- Wash spinach leaves along with khatta , methi(you can use 1 tspn of kasuri methi in case fresh leaves are unavailable) and Suaa (dill leaves) and chop them well
- Peel and chop Arbi, onions and potatoes.
Chop brinjal and Okra too. Do not forget to keep these veggies submerged in a bowl of water as soon as you chop these. In case you do not have all these veggies, just brinjal and onion will do, or just okra and potato with onion will help to make the Saibhaji mushy.This mix of vegetables is called as VAKHAR in Sindhi
- Heat oil in pressure cooker, add Vakhar (the chopped veggies in bowl) and saute it till tender
- Add chopped spinach leaves along with khatta, methi and sua , tomatoes, green chillies, ginger, all dry masalas, salt, chana dal and mix well(Note: Many prefer to just throw in everything in pressure cooker and not mix, going by the belief that mixing the spinach will result in taking long to cook. I somehow can’t resist mixing the stuff before closing the lid of cooker. So you can choose your way)
- Add little water and close the lid.Wait for atleast 7-8 whistles, open the lid , mash it well with whisker , and adjust its consistency to a semi dry one
- Many also prefer a Garlic Tadka (Tempering). But in our family , Saibhaji is made this way
- It could be served with almost everything , ranging from plain steamed rice, to bhuge chawal, veg biryani , Koki or Doda.
This post was submitted by admin.